Young Inspiring Explorers™ Summit
Hosted in Christchurch, Gateway City to Antarctica, this weekend Summit is for New Zealand students in Years 7-9.
There are up to 25 places available on the Summit, which will run Friday 10 November to Sunday 12 November.
Successful applicants will:
- engage in a weekend of exploration and learning
- meet huskies, ride in a Hägglund and experience a polar storm at the International Antarctic Centre
- be challenged to step outside their comfort zone and build self confidence
- spend two nights camping in a tent with new friends
- find inspiration in the legacies of historic Antarctic explorers – including experiencing Hillary’s Hut – Antarctic Virtual Reality
The weekend will encourage and empower young, modern-day explorers to meet the challenges of life head-on by connecting them to the inspiring feats of early Antarctic exploration. Kiwi legend William Pike will also be joining the Young Inspiring Explorers™ Summit.
No previous knowledge of Antarctica or outdoor experience is required.
Students will receive a certificate of achievement at the successful completion of the programme. They will also become members of the Antarctic Heritage Trust Alumni Programme, which includes Inspiring Explorers™ like William Pike, Laura Andrews, Mike Dawson and Brando Yelavich. As part of the Alumni Programme students will receive all the latest updates and info about alumni events and future expeditions.
Applications close 10 September 2023