What does the expedition involve?
This expedition will provide up to five participants with the opportunity to explore Antarctica with Antarctic Heritage Trust and Mike Dawson (two-time Olympian and NZ kayak champion). Expedition Partner Quark Expeditions will lead guided kayaking journeys from a vessel through Antarctic waters.
There will be time to explore the Antarctic Peninsula, see the marine mammals and wildlife unique to Antarctica, and visit historic Antarctic explorer bases.
Highlights of this expedition include:
- An opportunity to explore the Antarctic Peninsula with expert guides.
- An opportunity for students to learn and develop new skills, such as kayaking.
- An opportunity to join Olympian Mike Dawson and Expedition Partner Quark Expeditions kayak guides for kayaking adventures.
- Learning about Antarctic wildlife and science.
- Learning about the history of Antarctica and its importance to the world today.
- The chance to get out of your comfort zone and do something you’ve never done before.
Why are we doing this expedition?
Antarctic Heritage Trust wants to connect young people with the spirit of exploration by providing opportunities for them to go out and explore the world, to get them off their devices and out of their comfort zones. This trip will offer people a chance to push themselves, to connect with experts, and learn about the history, science, wildlife, environment and legacy of exploration in Antarctica. Participants will discover the spirit of exploration in the world’s most extreme environment and experience the spirit of the early polar explorers; a remarkable legacy the Trust cares for on behalf of humanity.
Who should apply?
Read the full Eligibility Criteria and Expedition Member Obligations.
Inspiring Explorers must:
- Be between 18 and 30 years of age.
- Currently reside in New Zealand.
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand.
- Be confident kayaking in open water.
- Contribute NZD$2000 towards the expedition costs.
The top character traits we are looking for include:
- An adventurous spirit.
- Team player.
- Desire to share your experience to inspire others.
- Positive attitude.
- A sense of humour.